Virginia Family Dentistry Pediatric Dentist Ethan Puryear was on ABC’s Showcase 8 to discuss children’s dental health. During this segment he talked about what to pack in your child’s lunchbox for healthy teeth. Some of his responses may surprise you!
In summary, time on teeth is what matters with food choices! ‘Sticky’ foods will stay on teeth longer and can cause cavities to develop.
Here’s some more tips from Dr. Puryear:
- Avoid crackers like Ritz and Goldfish, as they tend to stay on teeth longer. Replace with: breads, for example, Pita Bread.
- Avoid dried fruits, replace with whole fruits. To make fruits more fun, you can slice or spiralize them.
- Fats tend to wash away faster than carbohydrates. Foods with a higher fat content such a peanut butter or hummus are great choices. Try them with carrot slices for a satisfying crunch!
- For dessert, dark chocolate is the best option! It washes off of teeth quickly, instead of staying around like a candy
- Drink-wise, water is the best option. It washes away food residue and does not contain sugars that will stay on teeth.